All SSI Advanced Recertification instructors have passed rigorous training objectives prior to being able to instruct the advanced course curriculum. All SRT-A instructors are lead instructors and are required by SSI to attend an Instructor Development Course every 2 years to maintain their teaching credentials.
Is this course right for me?
If you have been through one or several basic SRT training courses, you may feel like it is time to advance your level of training. This course is designed to front-load the objectives, and you will take a practical examination on morning one of your course. Please come prepared to enter the water directly afterwards and be challenged by multiple scenarios. The scenarios will be challenging and require effort, decision-making, and a hardened skill-set in order to be successful. We will introduce different rope systems and it is imperative that you come prepared with the basic knowledge of an SRT-I. The instructors are there to create challenging scenarios and create group cohesion. There simply is not enough time in this fast-paced course to re-teach all objectives learned in an SRT-I. If you simply need to recertify your basic skills, it would be best to enroll in an SRT-I.
Pre-requisites / Personal Protective Equipment:
- Current SRT certification or 3 years out on your ACA training
- Type V PFD
- Waist throw bag
- One hand accessible knife
- 4 meters of 1″ (25mm) tubular nylon webbing for a harness
- Hardware for a 3:1 M.A. system on your person
- Proper helmet, footwear, and thermal layers
The Swift Water Rescue Training Advanced Recertification offered exclusively through SSI is a hybrid course with several key goals:
- Recertify your current SRT and advance your skill set.
- Reduce the time involved to recertify.
- Provide an online paltform to cover some of the prerequisite skills needed to be in an Advanced Recertification course.
- Have heavy influence on skills practically performed in the water, and reduce conventional classroom time.
- 5:1, 7:1, 7:1 M.A.
- Poldo tackle with retrieve
- Tensioned diagonal with retrieve
- Hasty tensioned diagonal
- Swiss seat + chest harness
- Moderate slope access and extrication
- Pig-rig M.A.
- In-water cut-outs
- Live bait
- Foot entrapment
- Anchor loading analysis
- Raise / lower
- Mathers Cinch
- Vertical kayak stabilization / rescue
- Tethered craft rescue
- Tyrollean traverse
- Vertical bridge rescue
Certification of Course Completion:
Just because you registered for an SRT-Advanced Recertification doesn’t mean you will receive a certification of course completion for an SRT-A. If you are not proficient with all of the listed core competencies at the termination of the training, the instructor may recommend you for a recertification of your SRT-Basic. The length of your expiration date may also be between 1 and 3 years based on your proficiency. The same is true for the expiration length on your SRT-A. Your instructor will talk you through the decision they have made, and give objective reasoning for their decision.
You will be required to advance through all of the lessons, and this online portion of your recertification will be administered through use of multi-media presentations as well as post lesson testing in order to advance to the next lesson. There are nine lessons with approximately 100 minutes of video, and a total of 50 test questions. You will advance through a lesson and be quizzed on that lesson immediately afterwards. You must pass with a minimum of 80% correct overall, and if you fail an exam you have an opportunity to take it once more and improve your score. You can stop after any lesson and come back later and start where you left off. This online training will take anywhere from 1.5 – 2.5 hours, and it must be completed prior to the start of your field session.
The online portion of the recertification process serves as your course exam. There will be no further written examinations in the field.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) + Quiz (17 min. video)
- Rescue Release Belt (5 min. video)
- Rescue Equipment + Quiz (14 min. video)
- Knots + Verifying you can tie the knots (15 min. video)
- Throw Bags + Quiz (2 min. video)
- Basic Anchors and Mechanical Advantage + Quiz (29 min. video)
- Swimming / Strainers / Emergency Cut-Outs + Quiz (4 min. video)
- Foot Entrapment + Quiz (3 min. video)
- Communication + Quiz (5 min. video)
- Tensioned Diagonal + Quiz (7 min. video)