- Warm synthetic layers for classroom activity and on-land training sessions
- Clothing for in-river activities (adjusted to wetsuit or drysuit)
- Dry clothing to change into after class
- Rain jacket/pants for on-land demonstrations in poor weather
- Warm gloves for outside classroom time
- Warm hat or sunhat (weather dependent)
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD) – type III or V (rescue vest recommended, but not necessary)
- River knife (one handed accessible)
- Wetsuit or Drysuit (speak with your instructor to guage water temps.)
- Splashtop or drytop if using a wetsuit
- River booties or sneakers appropriate for river swimming – closes toed shoes
- River gloves (Not necessary, but nice to have)
- River whistle (one handed accessible and attached to your PFD)
For questions concerning your gear, please contact us.
Although all group technical rescue gear is provided, we invite students to bring their own rescue gear to experiment with application and gain a strong understanding of equipment limitations. Please note: If the instructor deems your gear non-functional it will not be permitted in class. NO non-locking carabiners will be allowed.
- Food and snacks for the day
- Drinking water
What SSI provides:
All group rescue equipment including ropes, webbing, carabiners, pulleys, throw-bags and all other technical rescue gear. SSI also provides a field training manual, on-land and in-river instruction, all teaching material and a course completion wallet card as well as on-going administrative support and record keeping.